Testimony Tuesday - My Skin Care Journey
In the years before I began Healthy Farm Girl, I was sick a lot. I experienced migraines. I still used toxic products. My face was swollen and broken out constantly. I hated my skin and was not confident at all.
When I began making products for myself before I started my business in 2013, my health slowly began to improve, but the scars and acne remained. I delved deep into making products and learning more about healthy body care products, hoping I would find answers. Through those years, I found I was insulin resistant, and had some severe gut issues. I also had a MTHFR gene mutation which contributed to many of my skin issues.
Fast forward a few years, in 2017 is the next picture. You can see the difference is vast. My health was improving and so was my face. That year, I did a lot to improve my face care line and use it on my face. I added several things to my routine like exfoliation and dry brushing.
Last year was the year I took charge and said no more hating my face. I worked so hard and by the Fall of the year, my face was the best it has been. 2019 is a year for the books. I took the funny picture of my hair the other day and realized I had no makeup on and my face looked amazing. All the other previous pictures? I had makeup on. But nothing could cover my scarred skin which is now healing.
Exfoliation is something I didn't know about until recently. It's something I have implemented in some form since 2017. Exfoliation removes dead skin from your face and polishes it while also improving the circulation in your skin. It's a vital prep for makeup as well. Here's my recommendations for safe exfoliation:
- Konjac Sponge (gentle exfoliation): These are a good place to start, especially if you have open sores on your face. It is a very mild way to exfoliate. These are available at your local health food store or on Amazon.
- Dry Brushing (medium exfoliation): Brushing your face with a dry brush (found on amazon) with light, gentle strokes will give your skin a healthy glow, improve circulation, and get rid of a lot of dead skin. Do not dry brush if you have open sores.
- Coffee Salt Scrub (Medium exfoliation): You can use the coffee/Himalayan sea salt scrub in my shop or make your own with oil and a fine grain salt. The Coffee Scrub will exfoliate and moisturize your skin, leaving it feeling bright and fresh.
Cleansing with a non-abrasive, gentle cleanser is vital. Using something with alcohol is a huge no from me. It is way too harsh for your sensitive skin. Here are some alternatives.
- Norwex Cloths and water: This is a very gentle method that is very effective. You can use this if you're allergic to most ingredients in products or if you have healthy skin and feel like you don't want to use soap.
- Clear Skin Soap - Made with all skin in mind, this facial bar is especially beneficial to problem skin. Acne fighting ingredients such as jojoba oil, hemp oil, grass-fed beef tallow, and tamanu oil are paired with healing and restoring ingredients: argan, rosehip, and shea butter. Charcoal has been added for an extra boost of cleansing, detoxing properties.
Face Oil Cleansing: To oil cleanse, roll onto face generously. Cover face with a very warm washcloth and allow to steam for at least a minute, wipe off excess oil.
I use both of the moisturizers from my shop, just rotate them out and use one in the morning and one at night. I also will add some face oil if my face is especially dry.
Rosy Blush Face Cream: Normal skin, has age-fighting qualities. Protects from sun exposure.
Beautify Face Cream: Acne-fighting. Great for all skin types.
New Face cream with powerful face nourishing ingredients coming soon! You'll want to stay tuned for this one...I'm excited for it!
My Makeup Makeover
Using a toxic makeup defeats the purpose of using natural skin care products...but finding a natural solution that works can be tough. I've found a couple brands that are great. One I sell, you can find more information in my Facebook group or shop directly (Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/285758215348834/) (Directly: https://www.crunchi.com/melindapound)
The other is Fitglow Beauty. There are a couple other kinds that have products that are okay and products with harmful ingredients...feel free to message me with your makeup for feedback! :)
My Health Overhaul
I discovered I had a MTHFR mutation, gluten allergy, and insulin resistance sometime in 2015. I also had some inflammation due to gut issues going on in my body. Since changing my diet, I haven't really looked back. I miss bread sometimes, but being healthy and happy is 100% worth it. This may not be your problem, but finding a holistic doctor and discussing health would be worth it.
For everyone, I'd recommend reading The Beauty of Dirty Skin by Dr. Whitney Bowe, a cosmetologist. She talks about the importance gut health has on skin. It's fascinating. Your outside is a reflection on your inside. https://drwhitneybowe.com/beauty-of-dirty-skin-book/
If you do go to a holistic doctor, find one that will test and talk to you about:
- Gut health
- MTHFR mutation testing
- Food allergies
- Hormonal/thyroid health
- Insulin Resistance
Ask about probiotics. I'd recommend everyone be on a good probiotic. If you don't know where to begin, check out https://draxe.com/
Consider doing a 2-4 week detox/cleanse. Take lots of probiotics. Eat only vegatables with low sugar content, nuts and seeds, lots of healthy fats (avocado, coconut oil, butter, seeds, eggs, and nuts), and grassfed/organic meat.
Take a good vitamin for your skin. I love using Hair, Skin, and Nails by Nature's Way (https://www.vitaminlife.com/index/page/product/product_id/33062/)
My Mental Health Change
I was depressed for many years. Mental health effects our internal health. If you struggle with depression, find ways to improve your life and attitude.
- Exercise: this really does help! :)
- Talk to a friend.
- Find a hobby.
- Read instead of watch movies.
Don't give up!
My journey to healthier skin has not been easy. It has been long. I have felt like giving up many times. It isn't a slap some stuff on your face and magically your face is clear path. But it's worth it. My healthier face is a reflection of a healthier me and I'm so grateful! If you need tips or have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them or point you in the right direction. <3